Monday, April 4, 2011

Wrestlemania 27 Review

I can't help but feel a little bit underwelmed with the entire show this year. It started when I found out that the U.S. Title match between Sheamus, and Daniel Bryan had been dropped to a dark match. I had high hopes for that match, and was exited to see Bryan's 'mania debut. I still found the card to be entertaining, but I felt pretty much every match left me wanting more. Maybe my hopes were too high, but this is not one that I would call a classic Wrestlemania!
Match #1: Edge vs Alberto Del Rio - World Heavyweight Title
- First off, isn't the deal when you win the Royal Rumble, you get to HEADLINE Wrestlemania? When did they change it to opening the show? I realize the Cena vs Miz match was more of a headlining match, but I think they could have done a better job showcasing this Title match aswell. I thought these 2 put on a very strong performance, but I was very let down after it was finished! The fact that Christian was at ring side led to nothing, and it seems as though company officials have lost faith in Del Rio as a main event player. I would have thought Del Rio going over was one of the safest bets of the night. Big C starts 0-1!
Match #2: Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes
- This is one match where I wasn't disappointed. I thought this is probably the best match on the card. I'm not totally surprized, because I enjoy both of their in-ring work. I enjoy the build up in this angle, and was happy to see a rising star like Rhodes go over on the big stage. I was correct in my prediction that Rhodes would go over in this one. That brings me back even at 1-1. Boo-ya!
Match #3: Big Show/Kane/Santino/Kofi vs The Corre
- First off, if you're confused why Kofi is in this one, they ran an injury angle with Kozlov this weekend, allowing Kofi to take his place. This match lasted all of about 2 min, with Team Big Show picking up the win. I was glad to see this one didn't last long, but I was wrong on my prediction, which set me back to 1-2. Bummer!
Match # 4: Randy Orton vs CM Punk
- This really was a decent match. It was certainly was nothing spectacular, which is why I was still a little disappointed. I was just hoping for something better for CM Punk! This whole feud has been a snoozefest from the start, and had low expectations heading into the match. It wasn't any worse than I thought it would be, but was still disappointing that that's all I was going to get from Punk this year.  I was right on my prediction here, so that brings me back to the 500 mark at 2-2. Things are looking up for Big C!
Match # 5: Michael Cole w/Jack Swagger vs Jerry "The King" Lawler - "Stone Cold" Steve Austin Guest Ref
- What a train wreck! I enjoyed much of the build up for this match, but it was still horrible. Cole clearly has no business in the ring, and they let this go WAY too long! The only saving grace was Booker T doing a spinerooni, and then getting stunnered at the conclusion of the match. I was correct in my prediction though, so that brings me up to 3-2.
Match # 6: Undertaker vs HHH - No Holds Barred
- I feared this bout would have trouble living up to the last few Undertaker matches, and my fears were correct! I think this was a solid contest, and it showed the Undertaker's vulnerability moving forward, but I think it fell short of matching up with the 2 HBK matches, and the match he had with Edge at 'mania 24. Both men really put their bodies on the line, and should be commended for it, but I was still left a little disappointed. My prediction here was correct(total no-brainer here), so I'm up to 4-2. Shit ya!
Match #7 John Morrison/Trish Stratus/Snooki vs Dolph Ziggler/Laycool w/Vicki Guerrero
-This match actually had 2, or 3 good spots in it, so I guess it's better than I thought it would be! Snooki's involement was limited, and she actually pulled off an impresive athletic move, so that was a pleasent surprize. It was kept short, which is definitely for the best! I predicted this one correct aswell, so I'm rolling with a 5-2 record!
Match # 8: The Miz(c) vs John Cena - World Title Match
- I was very disappointed with this match. It seems this Wrestlemania main event was all just to set up a match down the road between John Cena, and The Rock. I'm all for a match between the 2, but why waste the main event at 'mania? I was glad The Rock was involved this year, but I think this whole storyline was booked poorly, and resulted in a rotten finish to a lack luster match. I was wrong in my prediction too, which gives me a final record of 5-3. Atleast I finsihed above 500!

No comments:

Post a Comment